[ANSTHRLD] Blazon help

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 28 19:39:49 PDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Donnchadh <donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:
> I have two questions.  One, what would be the proper blazon for
> the attached device.

For those of us using dialup, please don't dump x00 KB messages on the
list.  Better to put it on a Web page and give a URL for those who
want it.  I'm actually surprised that the list allowed it.

> My attempt at the blazoning is:
> Quarterly argent and sable, two St. Andrew's crosses vert and within
> bordures Or, two camellias argent.

I would blazon it

    Quarterly argent, a saltire vert, and sable, a camilla flower
    slipped argent within a bordure Or.

though the "slipped" is questionable given that only a short stubby
stem was shown.

Note that medieval armory tended towards "cookie cutter" symmetry,
showing multiples of a charge or design as identical.  It would be a
better depiction if the camilla flowers were not mirror images.

> Two, is this device passable?

Sorry, no.  The SCA does not register arms that appear to be
marshalling of independent coats.  This appears to be the son of Lord
"Argent, a saltire vert" and Lady "Sable, a camilla flower slipped
argent within a bordure Or".  (The exact rule is RfS XI.3; quotation
on request.)

Danet de Lyncoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com