[ANSTHRLD] explanation of the request for articles

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 29 05:56:31 PDT 2005

Thanks, I have those on the list as well.  I went through a lot of links
right now so that there is currently something.

I really don't need links though I appreciate the suggestions.  I'm looking
for articles or people interested in researching and/or writing articles.
Some of the articles may wind up duplicating other people's articles but I
think the people who does the research and then writes it benefits from the
activity.

For one thing - it teaches the person to research and to write.
It allows our Kingdom a chance to develop a library of work.  The first
place a person from our Kingdom looks when they want to know what we are
doing is our web pages.  I'd hate to have nothing but a page of links and
nothing original.
	An article on this history of our Orders would  be great.  You know the
development of awards, why the symbols were chosen and such.  I still hear
from people who have no clue what the Iris means - why there is a Rainbow
on it and not a flower.  Why does the Sable Crane and what does the star in
it's foot mean.  For that matter what is the reason why the crane was
picked (I was there so I know- please don't send me a note telling me)
	There's a great deal to be done in developing articles to encourage people
how and why to use arms.  The majority of you fellows on this list spend a
great deal of time registering names and arms.  Don't you want them to use
them in creative ways?  What about articles on that? How about an
Ansteorran beastiary - go through and see what most people have in the ways
of animals?  Are lions the favorite or the armadillo?

	Links are great and many of the articles on them are fantastic but I
really want to encourage you to think about writing articles and such with
an Ansteorran slant.  The recent Heraldic Symposium really shows that there
are a great many talented people who teach classes and have new ideas on
sometimes old twists.  I'd like to include that as well.

	Except for the Heraldic Symposiums and local activities, I never see
heraldry being taught at King's College and the Fall Arts Symposium in
general.  Once in awhile someone does but the majority of the time, it's
suspiciously quiet.  This past Fall Symposium Mistress Gunnora taught an
excellenet class on Norse naming practises and Her Ladyship Mot Cather
taught one on painted canvas banners.  Why aren't there more at these
events?  There are almost always a scribal class so that branch of the COH
is amply covered.  I'd like to see more.

Cordially,

Clare