[ANSTHRLD] Help Needed on: The correct spelling of names for the Crown Tourney's Court Report

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 16:54:54 PDT 2006

--- heralds-request at ansteorra.org wrote:
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kimberly Koch <sarapenrose at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Help Needed on: The correct spelling of names
	for the	Crown Tourney's Court Report
To: "Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc."
	<heralds at ansteorra.org>

>Hi Lucianna,
> Vara Sigurdsdottir
>This one is correct as is.

>> Centurian Richard
>Richard of Durnford
Hillary - someone had suggested the Centurian was given to Jean-Richard Malcolmson, but as he's a
knight already, this didn't make sense, so hope that Richard of Durnford is correct.

>> Morgan Buchanon
>Morgan Buchanan
Hillary - I heard Morgan was to be knighted later at Steppes Warlord, if so, it should not go on
the Heralds report till Steppes Warlord.  He was only announced at Rosenfield Crown Tourney -
someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Is it allowable to list his name with a notation on the comments
section that it's to occur later?  I think that could cause confusion - wait till Steppes Warlord
to put it on the list.

Sara Penrose has many excellent suggestions (could make a good article for the Heralds files??)
and I've used all of them.  I have one more to add to the list - ask the person who got the award
directly after court - Congratulate them, then ask how to spell their name.  Most folks are very
happy to spell their name out right as they also want it recorded correctly.

Make a notation in the comments side for the Zodiacus herald who receives the report and enters it
in the database - that you got this name spelling from the award recipient.  That may help
Zodiacus decide which of the various name formats they get from all the reports that come in to
enter into the OP - probably yours.

If the award is an AoA, you may find the name that was on the scroll, as given to the Crown and in
the court Herald and Sable Scrolls reports - is not the same spelling that the recipient
themselves uses.  It's especially important to check directly with the recipient if this is the
first award (usually AoA) for this person, as will be the first time the name is entered into the
Ansteorra OP, and all other awards that follow maybe referred to that OP name when researching for
their next award.

By the way, if the name spelling they give you is different than that on the scroll they just got
- sorry, no replacement scrolls available for misspelling - misspelling is period.   And if
someone tells you their name in the OP is spelled wrong - ask them to send Zodiacus Herald an
e-mail with the correction - they are very happy to get corrections.

Thanks for all you are doing to get it right,
Cheers, Hillary Greenslade, Star Signet
(also a big OP fan)