[ANSTHRLD] conflict checking

tmcd@panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 24 13:52:31 PDT 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Can I please get some help conflict checking the following?
>
> Per bend argent and gules, three roses in bend counterchanged.

Instaboing for use of the reserved charge "Tudor rose".
The CoA Glossary of Terms, Table 2, Restricted Charges, says

    Name              Blazon                    Symbol of
    ----              ------                    ---------
    Tudor Rose        The combination of a      Tudors
                      rose argent and a
                      rose gules, whether as a
                      double rose or in some
                      other manner which
                      creates a half-white,
                      half-red rose

One of the more famous Tudor rose representations is a double rose: on
a red rose a white rose, or the reverse, sometimes crowned.  But
that's not the only combo.

The August 1999 LoAR, Ansteorran returns, has a directly applicable
case:

    Rouland Blackwell. Device. Per pale gules and argent, six roses
    [three, two, and one] counterchanged.
         This is returned for using the restricted charge, the Tudor
         rose.  The two roses that lie on the line of division are per
         pale argent and gules, which is one form of the Tudor rose.

Or, for another example case, January 2001 LoAR:

    Juliana Kendal. Device. Or, a Kendal flower proper within a bordure
    rayonny gules.
        The Kendal flower, when proper, is a six petaled rose of
        alternating argent and gules petals.  This makes it a variant
        of a Tudor rose, as the Tudors combined white and red roses in
        various manners.  Tudor roses are restricted charges and
        cannot be registered.

If the proposal instead had two roses on one side of the "per bend"
line and one rose on the other, making solid-colored roses, it would
avoid this problem.

Daniel Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com