[ANSTHRLD] July ILOI Constance Elizabeth Campbell

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Aug 6 06:44:59 PDT 2006

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 debell1 at txcyber.com wrote:
> Messing with the tertiary charges on the bend can get you a maximum
> of 1 CD under our rules.

The rule being RfS X.4.j:

    j.  Changes to Charges on Charges - Changes to a group of charges
        placed entirely on other charges MAY create one clear
        difference.

        No more than one clear difference can be obtained from changes
        to the same group of charges on other charges.

So changing from
    Sable, on a bend argent in dexter chief a mullet gules.
    Sable, on a bend argent 11 angels all doing the Watusi with hands
    linked purpure winged counter-ermine.
is one CD.

Someone else wrote:
> > If not, can I add ... (or a bordure that looks like the cotised
> > bend, I don't know the correct term, but I have seen it in a
> > heraldry book)

I'm afraid I can't figure out what you're describing just from those
words.  I don't suppose you could do a simple image and put it on a
Web page somewhere?

"Cotising" is called "cotising" no matter what charge the cotises are
around, except for a pale in which case it's "a pale endorsed".

If you mean "a bordure cotised": I would have sworn that there was an
explicit precedent that only double-sided central ordinaries can be
cotised, but I can only find something in the Pic Dic:

    COTISING -- Cotising is the addition to either side of an ordinary
    of a stripe parallel to the ordinary's edge; these stripes are
    usually termed "cotises".  The bend was the earliest ordinary to
    be cotised in mundane heraldry [143], but the fess and the pale
    quickly followed; and any double-sided ordinary may be cotised in
    Society heraldry.

There is a charge called an "orle", which I call "a bordure that's
been washed on 'hot'": it's a bordure that's had its edges shoved
inward, so there's now a gap of field visible outside it.
<http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/anorle.gif>, linked to off of
<http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/variants.html>
I don't know that that can be cotised: I doubt it.

The diminutive (== much thinner) version of the orle is the
"tressure".  <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/atressure.gif>
However, we don't register single diminutives.  (Example: the "bar" is
the diminutive of the "fess".  We will register "a fess", but not "two
fesses", "two bars", "three bars", et cetera, but not "a bar".)  If
you drew a thick tressure, we'd blazon it as an "orle"; if you drew a
thin tressure, we'd return it for drawing an orle too thin.

There's a "double tressure":
oh dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just hit
<http://members.aol.com/abrumana/heraldry/images/construction_lozenge.jpg>
Ahem.  Anyway.
<http://www.bozzle.com/ImagesHeraldic/ordDoubTressure.gif> isn't a bad
depiction.  (Example of not-a-single diminutive.)

I lied above: you can have a single tressure, when it's on a bordure.
If the tressure is the same tincture of the field, you might visually
get an effect rather like an orle within a bordure, which is also
legal.

Does this help at all?

Danihel de Lindo
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com