[ANSTHRLD] June Gazette ILOI Orle commentarey

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Wed Aug 2 08:34:44 PDT 2006

> 23. Tiarnán of Bryn Gwlad (Bryn Gwlad)
> [Name] Barony of Bryn Gwlad was registered March 1980.  The Saint Gabriel
> reports have nothing useful about this name.  Report 591 has a warning on
> it and no references to where Tiarnan was found.  Report  1147 states the
> form Tiarnan is modern so it wouldn't be registrable.  A change to Tiernan
> fixes the problem.

[Note: in this message, I'm using / to indicate an accent on the previous
letter.]

The change from <Tiarna/n> to <Tiernan> is a language change from Gaelic to
Anglicized Irish, and is a major change (which the submitter does not allow).

In general, the change from a modern Gaelic form to a period Gaelic form has
been considered a minor change, but I don't know if there has been any recent
precedent on this.

so, to keep it as a minor change, the Modern Gaelic (c1700-present)
<Tiarna/n> would need to become the Early Modern Gaelic (c1200-c1700)
<Tighearna/n>.  The Old Irish (c700-c900) and Middle Irish (c900-c1200) form
of this name was <Tigerna/n>.

Mari