[ANSTHRLD] Dressing up in the new finery

J. Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Tue Aug 29 13:14:49 PDT 2006

Luciana Caterina di Boniface wrote:

>I became the proud keeper of a few goodies last night - a couple of tabards
>(I just LOVE playing dressup!) and two sashes. Now,...I can figure out what
>to do with the tabards, but the sashes are leaving me in a bit of a
>quandry...
>
>The first sash is green with the crossed trumpets, in shiny-ish gold,
>positioned about where it would be on a person's (left?) shoulder. My
>understanding is that this would be something worn by a herald when they
>were not 'officially on duty'. But,....First, am I correct in this, and
>Second, when would that be the case if I am? Would this mean that  herald
>could simply show up at an event (ie: Pensic) where they were not performing
>in a Heraldic capacity and stroll around the entire time with the sash on?
>
>The next sash is blue, with a circular badge, about shoulder height, that
>has teardrop/raindrop on it. I do not remember at the moment if the
>teardrop/raindrop is white or blue. I believe it is blue and that the badge
>is white. What does this stand for, and when would this be worn?
>
>Any information on either of these would be greatly appreciated.
>
>In Service,
>Luciana

The 'sash' is actually called a baldric, and is worn when you ARE on
duty, in whatever capacity you are comfortable with. Most commonly, in
my experience, the baldric is worn when doing town crier at an outdoor
event or when functioning as a field herald for tournaments.

The other baldric is for waterbearer duty - you would wear that when
carrying either jugs or bottles of water or gatorade (or other
equivalent beverage) for folks to refresh themselves - usually fighters,
but I have seen populace in general be helped by waterbearers when it is
really hot outside.

Baroness Shauna of Carrick Point
de-lurking Artemisian herald