[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check #4, Bonwicke

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 1 22:06:43 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle
<kihebard at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Submitters description:
> > Per chevron Sable and Gules, a sheaf of 3 arrows points chief Or.
>
> Blazon offered:
>
> Per chevron sable and gules, overall a sheaf of arrows inverted Or.

That is: most weapons are, by default, business end to chief.  (E.g.,
"a sword" has the pointy end up.)  Arrows are an exception: their
default is pointy end down (I think of it as "as if raining down on
the enemy").  That's why Amra specified "inverted".  "points to chief"
would be a correct blazon (note preposition "to"), but since that's a
longer phrase, it would not be unlikely to be reblazoned to "inverted"
along the submission path.

Amra is correct with "sheaf of arrows", going by the Pic Dic and
previous registrations, but personally I would prefer to be explicit
with "sheaf of three arrows" (on account of I had to look in the Pic
Dic and previous registrations to learn about the default "sheaf of
Xs" being three Xs).

> (Unless specified as overall, the sheaf *might* be interpreted as
> lying entirely on the sable portion of the field.)

In SCA blazon, "overall" is used only for charges that partially
overlie a charge: that is, part of the overall charge lies on the
field and the rest lies on the base charge.  So "overall" is not
applicable here.  The charge does not share a tincture with the field,
so if the location is not specified, it is in the center of the
field.  The only way it would be interpreted as being on the sable
portion is if the blazon expressly said "in chief".

Ddaned dde Lyngoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com