[ANSTHRLD] Name Documentation needed

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 2 22:15:01 PST 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Suren Unegen <commander at mongounegen.com> wrote:
> Reynard would be the first name of a male living in france. I am still
> digging for it in the name arcive to see if it appears there.

Which "the name archive" -- Saint Gabriel?

Googling for
    site:s-gabriel.org reynard
shows

<http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/brasses/menfreq.html> notes
Reynard occurring once in "Pre-1600 English Brass Inscriptions"
by Julian Goodwyn (Janell K. Lovelace), 1997 KWHS.

and <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/2176.txt>,
with
    <Reynard> was introduced into England by the Normans but never became
    common [12].  As a given name it seems to have fallen out of use
    entirely by the 16th century.  <Reynold> and <Reginald>, similar names,
    continued in use through the 16th century.  We found two 16th century
    examples of the given name <Reynold>: <Reynold Nuecome>, recorded in
    the late 16th century [13], and <Reynold Peckham>, recorded in 1525
    [14].  The name <Reginald> appears frequently in 14th-16th century
    records [8, 15].

But, of course, those are both English without a solid citation to
period France, but at least it's most hopeful.

Ddaned dde Lyngoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com