[ANSTHRLD] Name check please

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 14 09:43:56 PST 2006

At 11:24 AM 2/14/2006, you wrote:

>REVISIT.
>
>My Lady informs me that she understood that a person might be given a
>middle name at birth, and upon being baptized receive her mothers name as
>well. I quote:
>
>  "So, I am taking it that I can only have a first and last name, or can I
> actually take a middle as well. I am thinking that in the Church you were
> given your fathers name and when Baptized your were given your mothers
> name as well."
>
>Does this have basis in validity?

Well, let's ask questions.  What period is she speaking of?  And what
nationality?  Where did your Lady hear this and in what context?

Names are really different within the historical context of the SCA.  For
instance, Hungarian names are normally displayed with the last name first
and the first name last.  Some cultures only used a first name and a clan
name or tribal (familial name) - Mongolian.... comes to mind.  In England
early peoples had a first name given at birth and a descriptive
(occupational - Smith or Baxter, relational - Ralfsonne or ferch
Bran,  locative - atte Wode or of York and descriptive - oatmeal back or
the Fair.  Over time these developed into surnames.   Some places didn't
develop at the same speed as others.  In some cultures, one could have a
birth name, a baptismal name (usually a Saint's name) and a relational name
((Italian))  Ana Maria del Corte for instance.

Of the Irish names I have seen within period, even the late one generally
have the first name and then a surname.  If she can find extant examples of
what she wants then she has a valid argument for doing what she wants to do.

these are Irish plea rolls which describe the rolls and have names in them
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/topics/Medieval_plea_rolls/MPL.htm

Those below are for other periods and are mostly English
Hope it helps

  http://www.fordham.edu/HALSALL/source/1274wakefield-courtrolls.html

http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/sources/public.shtml#taxes - wonderful
site.