[ANSTHRLD] looking for a difference

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 22 08:09:17 PST 2006

So Daniel, am I finding this one correctly then?

--- tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> > or b) charging my triskelion with a pellet (roundel sable), add a second difference?

> The Rules for Submission part X talks about conflict between pieces of armory.  What does it say
about charges on charges, aye?

X.4.i says:
Addition of Charges on Charges   Adding or removing any group of charges placed entirely on other
charges is one clear difference.

For example, charging a pale with three martlets, or charging a bordure with eight martlets,
provides one clear difference.

So charging a triskelion of dragon's heads argent with a pellet would be 1 CD from an uncharged
triskelion of dragon's heads argent, and if both badges are fieldless, that would give them a
second CD.

Further, with regard to a pierced fieldless charge, I found the following from the Precedents
during Francois's term as Laurel:

Current precedent is that we only allow the piercing of charges on fieldless badges when those
charges were found pierced in period armory (thus disallowing omni-tinctured tertiary charges).
While a compass star is closely related to a mullet, it is nevertheless a different charge, one
not found in period armory. Therefore we are not inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt and
allow it to be pierced as we would a mullet or spur rowel.