[ANSTHRLD] looking for a difference

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 22 15:28:31 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So Daniel, am I finding this one correctly then?
>
> > > or b) charging my triskelion with a pellet (roundel sable), add
> > > a second difference?
> >
> > The Rules for Submission part X talks about conflict between
> > pieces of armory.  What does it say about charges on charges, aye?
>
> X.4.i

("aye" was the hint for that)

> says:
>     Addition of Charges on Charges Adding or removing any group of
>     charges placed entirely on other charges is one clear
>     difference.
>
> So charging a triskelion of dragon's heads argent with a pellet
> would be 1 CD from an uncharged triskelion of dragon's heads argent,
> and if both badges are fieldless, that would give them a second CD.

Bingo!  To be more explicit in "showing your work", you could end it
with

    ... and if both badges are fieldless, that would give them a
    second CD by RfS X.4.a.iii (Fieldless Difference), and by RfS X.4,
    if I find 2 CDs between two designs, there's no conflict.

> Further, with regard to a pierced fieldless charge, I found the
> following from the Precedents during Francois's term as Laurel:
>
>    Current precedent is that we only allow the piercing of charges
>    on fieldless badges when those charges were found pierced in
>    period armory (thus disallowing omni-tinctured tertiary charges).
>    While a compass star is closely related to a mullet, it is
>    nevertheless a different charge, one not found in period
>    armory. Therefore we are not inclined to give it the benefit of
>    the doubt and allow it to be pierced as we would a mullet or spur
>    rowel.

Exactly the precedent I saw.  So while in general it appears likely
that you could pierce dragon's heads (because it refers to that
possibility), in particular you can't pierce the dragon's heads on a
fieldless badge.

To answer the other question I think I asked, which was "where do you
find the precedents?":
- start at the main Laurel Web page, <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/>
- click on "Archive of Laurel Precedents" to get to
      <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents.html>
- start with the topmost precedents and work down (== backwards in
  time)

There's a table of contents with section headers at the top, and that
can be useful (in this case, PIERCED).  Otherwise, if you remember a
distinctive word or name from the ruling, you can search for that.
For example, the Bruce precedent on obtrusively modern names contains
the phrase "scruff of the neck", so I just remember that.

Dannet "when you can snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper, then
you will be ... hey!  gimme my pebble back!" de Linccolne
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com