[ANSTHRLD] Opportunities to teach

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 23 08:32:16 PST 2006

Good Morning to the College

I'd like to encourage everyone of you to think about teaching or
participate  in teaching venues this year.  We're being given a great
opportunity to share, educate and interest people in heraldry, calligraphy
and Illumination.

June 16-18 is the Known World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium which is being
held in our near neighbor Gleann Abhann, and besides being a chance to meet
other people from other areas, this is a chance to support the people of
New Orleans through tourism and help them rebuild their city by spending!

The weekend after (June 23-25) is King's College which is being held in
Westgate.  This is a good place to try to interest non-heralds in Heraldry.
I know of one class in heraldic flags and banners that is being offered and
hope several in calligraphy and illumination will also be taught as
well.  The person to contact is the Honorable Lady Ebergardis von Zell
called Ebi and her e-mail is cweed at hot.rr.com.  I'd really like to see a
few more classes in heraldry and C&I.

July 28-30 is the weekend being set aside for the Ansteorran Heraldic
Symposium.  I'd really encourage people about holding this.  Last year's
was a wonderful event and very laidback and full of learning.  The
Symposium would be a wonderful event for a small group to host (low
maintenance) as well as some of the larger Baronies.  It would be nice to
have it somewhat central to accommodate everyone. This is the place to
train people in field and court heraldry, book research and artistry.  If
you are interested in hosting the Symposium please let Star know.

Sept 8-10 is Laurel's Prize Tourney and while I wouldn't think people will
be teaching any classes - it is a wonderful venue for heralds to show off
any heraldic art they have been working on as well as the calligraphers and
illuminators.  I have learned from my experiences participating at LPT, the
fact that visuals are often better interest grabbers than words.

Please consider teaching, attending or helping out at any of these
events.  As heralds, it's nice to be able to reach a larger audience and
interest people in one of the flashier and more visual aspects of this
office.  Running a consultation table would be a fun thing to do as well at
any and all of these events and would no doubt be appreciated.  By June,
the Heraldic Library should be up and running so books will be available as
well for people to use.

Regards,

Clare
Tressure