[ANSTHRLD] name pronunciation and other questions

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Feb 25 09:39:24 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Maridonna <maridonna at maridonna.com> wrote:
> Hedwig von Luneborg wrote:
>
> > Could someone who has this reference book please look up the name
> > M'Ghie and send me that header/edition/page number
> > etc. information?
>
> Square brackets are my addition.
>
> Woulfe, Patrick.  Sloinnte Gaedheal is Gall: Irish Names and
> Surnames. Irish Genealogical Foundation 1992, Special Revised Ed.,
> ISBN 940134403. P. 415, s.n. Mag Aoda, Mag Aoid - IV - [Italicised
> names follow] M'Gay, M'Gey, MGhy.   Magee, MacGee, MacGhee, MacGhie,
> Ghee, Gee: var. of Mac Aoda and Mac Aoid, q.v.; ... Other
> families are mentioned under Mac Aoda.

If I recall the original question correctly, the first name was a pure
Irish Gaelic feminine name.  From what I gather here, M'Gay, M'Gey, et
al are Anglicized Irish.  Switching between those orthographies in one
name is one step from period practice (a "weirdness").  Also, this
would have to be an inherited surname (women can't be "mac" when it's
interpreted literally), which I think is a later-period and Englished
practice.

Would the submitter like to see some forms of
"<her given name> inghean Aoda" or "Aoid"?

Danyell de Linccolne
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com