[ANSTHRLD] more naming questions

Hedwig von Luneborg lochherald at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 12:32:58 PST 2006

I want to thank everyone for helping me with the Irish/Scottish naming
practices I've been learning about.  That is the really nice thing about
this list.  I have yet another name hunt I've started and I am REALLY hoping
someone here can help.  I've spent literally the last 4 hours researching
this.  Here is the *proposed* name and what I've been able to find in my
limited time and resources:

*Zev ben David Yamai shel Yaffa (Wolf son of David a sailor from Jaffa):*
**
This is a Hebrew name (in case anyone is wondering).  The major thing of
course is naming practices.  I can not find any information other than the
one article on the SCA Heraldry Name Articles site to help me learn about
Hebrew naming practices.  I've been looking up meanings/translations of most
of the elements in this name.

*zev- (z'eb or zeh-abe') from an unused root meaning to be yellow; a
wolf;wolf.  *
*Also in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible  it's number is 2061
as referenced in Genisis 49:27.  *
*The wolf is the symbol for the tribe of Benjamin...*
**
*ben- son of (this was found on the SCA site)*
**
*David- pretty obvious so I haven't done any work here*
**
*Yamai- supposedly means sailor (according to the gentle I'm helping) but I
haven't found anything to substantiate this yet.  All I could find was this
word: mallach- (mal-lawkh')- a sailor as following "the salt"; a mariner.*
**
*shel- meaning of or from but again I can't find this anywhere*
**
*Yaffa- The gentle tells me it is the Hebrew use of the name of a city
(Jaffa) found in Israel and referenced in Jonah (a book of the Bible).
However (and I spent a LOT of time on this one) I cannot find Jaffa
anywhere.  I find Joppa in Hebrew is Japho and it is referenced four times:
Jonah 1:3; II Chronicles 2:16; Ezra 3:7; Acts 9:36.  It is a city/port on
the Great Sea (Mediterranean) west of Jerusalem and near the Yarkon river
north of Gaza.
*
So I suppose my main questions are:

   1. Where can I find information on Hebrew naming practices?
   2. Can anyone help me with the definate meanings of "yamai" and
   "shel"?

--
"zum Traum" (to The Dream),
Frau Hedwig von Luneborg