[ANSTHRLD] more naming questions

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Feb 25 22:28:53 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Hedwig von Luneborg <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hedwig (who is *really* trying to be polite at the moment)

I was not trying to be critical, and I am very sorry for making you
feel criticized.

I'm also sorry that I didn't notice that you had already checked the
SCA heraldry site and other places.

I suggested the SCA Heralds' list because this name is beyond what
anyone on this list is likely to know about, or likely anyone in this
kingdom.  And you seem to be clueful and might benefit with a larger
pool of experienced people to read.  I'm fairly sure that SCA Heralds'
has at least two people who know something about Jewish names.  With
Saint Gabriel on (permanent?)  vacation, they're the best bet
remaining for you, I think.

Certainly I know almost nothing about Hebrew, which is why I could
only ask about the given name.  Another question occurs to me: did he
tell you what reasons he had to think that "Zev" is a given name (as
opposed to just the common word for "yellow" or "wolf")?  I did just
think to look for Yaffa/Jaffa.  A modern gazetteer (WordNet) says "a
port in western Israel on the Mediterranean; incorporated into Tel
Aviv in 1950 [syn: {Jaffa}, {Joppa}, {Yafo}]".  I'm wondering whether
even the "name your baby in Hebrew" sites might actually be of use, if
only to start research and to get at least *some* data.

Danielis de Lindocolina
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com