[ANSTHRLD] Questions about a tierce

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Feb 25 22:18:16 PST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, sandra goodrich <tgnst at swbell.net> wrote:
> Danial... I helped the client with this befor she took it to our
> herald, the Lady is blind, so there is a muddle in translation, what
> we came up with was Vert, a lilly slipped and leaved argent, a
> tierce ermine,

OK: green field, a natural lily with white blossom (side view), stem,
and leaves, and the left 1/3 of the field is ermine, right?

>> > Now one other thing my client would like is a pale (or palet)
>> > ermine where the argent and vert meet. Is this possible since the
>> > tierce is an ordinary and not a field devision?
>>
>> Drawing a thin line to delimit the outline of a charge is called
>> "fimbriation". This thin line is an outline, touching the charge at
>> all points, not set off a little ways like "racing stripes"
>> (cotises).

With a tierce ermine, ermine fimbriation wouldn't make sense, so I'm
thinking you mean "cotised".  That's where there's a "racing stripe"
running parallel to but not touching the charge, like

        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |
        | ##### |

I was pretty certain that there were precedents on cotising peripheral
ordinaries and on ermine cotises, but I can't find any.

My strong suspicion is that you can't have an ermine cotise, for the
same reason you can't have ermine fimbriation: the stripe is too
narrow to show ermining well.  The only ermine cotises registered were
in 1985, but a precedent that old allowing something is almost
useless.

The only cotises I've seen have been on central ordinaries, which have
two sides, and I strongly suspect that, as with fimbriation, you can't
fimbriate a peripheral charge.

She can send it up as a test case, but it would take upwards of a year
and I would be inclined to bet some money against its registration.

Daniel de Lindicolino
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com