[ANSTHRLD] Name Documentation needed

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Feb 3 00:39:45 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, William / Bill Butler <chemistbb3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> since they have to be documentable, they need to be real places.

That happens not to be the case.  In that RfS infodump I put on the
list earlier, RfS II, was

    3.  Invented Names - New name elements, whether invented by the
    submitter or borrowed from a literary source, may be used if they
    follow the rules for name formation from a linguistic tradition
    compatible with the domain of the Society and the name elements
    used.

        a.  Invented name elements may not consist of randomly
        arranged sounds or characters.

        b.  Invented given names may not be identical to any other
        word unless a strong pattern of use of a class of words as
        given names in the same language is documented.

(Clauses .a and .b are aimed at practices that used to be much much
more common in the SCA.  In fact, with current name authenticity, I
suspect that RfS .b would be pretty much ignored if an invented name
did otherwise "follow the rules for name formation", and .a looks
pretty useless now (you can't justify "randomly arranged sounds or
characters" under any other rules anyway).

Ddaned dde Lyngoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com