[ANSTHRLD] Scroll Question

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 10:23:18 PST 2006

> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:49:52 -0600
> From: Suren Unegen <commander at mongounegen.com>
> Subject: [ANSTHRLD] Scroll Question
> To: "Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc."
> 	<heralds at ansteorra.org>
>
> Greetings,
> I have a question in regards scroll character text size listed in the
> Awards Text PDF. Just as an example the Award of the Sable Falcons calls
> for Charter Text (size: 8.5” X 11”). Is this how much room is needed
> inside of any illumination that may be added or is it the over all size
> of the award?
> Fox
> Refr inn draumspaki

The charter size text should be specifications for the finished size of the
scroll... ie, all the 'artwork', including calligraphy text, illumination and white-space border
(.5-1 in) are to fit within the specified size, in this case designated as 8.5x11.

The Charter paper size is 11x17, once scribes cut the instruction tab off, then it's
approx. 11x14.  If an AoA scroll is designated at 8.5 x 11, then the full set of
design for that scroll, will fit within the 8.5x11.   Scribes will often not cut out
the complete specified scroll size of 8.5x11 in order to provide the maximum amount of border
space to the award recipient to be able to properly frame the work.  Often an 8.5x11 artwork
space will fit nicely into an 11x14 frame and mat.

Does that answer the question?
If anyone is planning to design a new scroll charter, and are not familiar with the process,
please contact your Regional Scribe, or Star Signet (me) for design requirements and details.
There will be a handout and a checklist online for details, hopefully soon.
Hillary Greenslade, Star Signet