[ANSTHRLD] name pronunciation and other questions

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Thu Feb 23 09:43:37 PST 2006

You are most welcome.  I have made some (and need to make more!) studies
of Gaelic and find the spelling and pronunciation fascinating.

An approximation of "blaomadh" would be "BLEE my" or "BLEE mah", depending
on the dialect involved.  Either should be proper.

Gaelic descriptives generally are just the name and the descriptive term.
An example is my own name, Padraig Ruad, which in English would be Red
Patrick or Patrick the Red.  So Iain Blaomadh could be translated as Noisy
John or John the Loud.  But make sure to tell him that a Court or Field
Herald will almost never pronounce his name right.  ;-)

Padraig

--
Nunc est bibendum.