[ANSTHRLD] help please

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Sun Jan 15 18:11:09 PST 2006

David Knebel wrote:

> Greetings friends,
>
>  I have a client that wishes to document the name Derick Stanley
> existing around 1580 England. I can not find my copy of Wythicomb to get
> the details for Stanley but I am sure it's there.  I did a global search
> for Derick on Ancestry.com and found a few in the late 1500's and early
> 1600's, does anyone have any ideas on usable documentation for my client?

Withycombe, s.n. Derek, Derrick (m): Diedrick or Dirck is the Dutch
form of German Diederich, from Old German Thordoric(q.v).  Dederick,
Dyrke, Deryk are found in England in the 15th C, borrowed, no doubt,
from the Low Countries.  Camden gives Derric as the English and
Terry as the French forms of Theodoric,  The name has been revived
during the 20th C; it is now oftener spelt Derek than Derrick.

Dedericus 1461.
Dederic 1464.

"Lists of Foreign Protestants, and Aliens resident in England
1618-1688". From Returns in the State Paper Office. Reprinted for
the Royal Historical Society,1968, no ISBN. The Appendix (1618),
page 76 lists "Derick Helden b. in Hensboroughe in Gulickland, under
the Duke of Gulick... in England 30 yeers."
These are English spellings of foreign names.

--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.