[ANSTHRLD] just a reply to: part 2

Charles Ó Floinn Tons at raf662bravo.com
Tue Jan 24 19:40:59 PST 2006

They come in pints?

Charles Ó Floinn,
Thorn at raf662bravo.com
Herald, Shire of Rosenfeld
Kilgore, Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: heralds-bounces+tons=raf662bravo.com at ansteorra.org
[mailto:heralds-bounces+tons=raf662bravo.com at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of
tmcd at panix.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:48 PM
To: Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc.
Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Follow up on Baron Tepesa, part 2

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 francis.schalles at ttuhsc.edu wrote:
> With that, he also would be fine with a Finnish background if
> possible.  I am researching any leads in reference to "Tepes-".

NOTE: any notion of Finnishness was a wild-assed uninformed notion on
my part.

This is actually a case when Yonge, or Hanks and Hodges, might help.
Yes, they're useless as SCA documentation.  But they list names from
various cultures, so someone may be able to find sound-alike names and
see where H&H or Yonge says they're from -- that is, these books might
be a useful starting place to locate other sources to investigate.

> Kainin was a construct of Kai + in, to distinguish himself from
> other Kai's in our Barony at the time.

It's starting to look to me like classic "stunt documentation":
"can anyone justify this name in any language or time period?".
In stunt doc requests, the original name elements might be invented,
or selected based on dictionary meanings, or from various cultures,
without reference to period naming practices.  Unfortunately, you
should realize that in general the stunt doc success rate is so-so:
sometimes the closest period-style name that someone can come up with
is not all that close, and it's often from a time period and culture
that the submitter has no interest in.

It really is much more effective to choose a language, culture, and
time period, look at its name elements and name construction patterns,
and put together a name based on them.  -- Which doesn't help this
baron, of course, but instead feels more like salt in the wound.
I just wanted to step up on a soapbox in hopes that others will know
the importance of consulting.

Daniel the Pint-Sized Polonius
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com