[ANSTHRLD] Book help

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Mon Jul 10 22:31:45 PDT 2006

>> > I'm purchasing naming and heraldic  books for the Canton of Westgate
it was
>> > on of the things I promised to do as the Herald before I became
Solstice. I
>> > have good Idea of what to buy but I have $150.00 to spend and I want to
>> > spend it wisely . I have looked at the no photocopy list online also. I
>> > would  like some suggestion from some you too . Thanks Lady Valeria
>> Marcella
>> > de' Martinez  Solstice
>

>I'd go to Amazon Books and do some price shopping.  Reaney is there for
>about 25.00 and I also found Black's Surnames of Scotland.  McLysaght's
>Surnames of Ireland is there for about 20.00.  Fucilla is available for
>about 20.00  used.

Since you're outfitting a group's consulting library, go for things that
are easy to use and popular.

Definitely get Reaney and Wilson.  When I ordered it from Borders 8 or so
years ago, it was $15.95.

Also Black (I got my hardcopy for $55 years ago).

Don't bother with MacLysaght (it has almost no dates, lots of modern forms,
and other issues).

Don't bother with Fucilla (most of the same problems as MacLysaght.)

I'd get Geirr Bassi (which is a special order from a particular publisher -
but I can't remember who right now).  I think it's under $10.

If you can find a cheap Withycombe on Amazon, definitely get it.  (I
wouldn't pay more than about $15.)

I'd get a copy of OCM's "Irish Names".  I occasionally see it at Barnes and
Noble for $12.95, I think it was.

After that, the most used book I'd guess would be the Edda Gentry
translation of Bahlow.  I bought mine for $20-25 as a first edition.  I
know it's been reprinted since then, but I have no idea how much the
current edition goes for.

After that, the book I make sure goes to a consult table is Woulfe's "Irish
Names and Surnames".  It's great for surnames, but you have to ignore the
given names section since so much of it is modern.  My copy was about $35
when I bought it in the late 90s.

I don't know what the best armory book(s) are.  I'll let others here chime
in on those.

Mari