[ANSTHRLD] Book help

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Tue Jul 11 00:01:57 PDT 2006

>> After that, the book I make sure goes to a consult table is Woulfe's
>> "Irish Names and Surnames".  It's great for surnames, but you have
>> to ignore the given names section since so much of it is modern.  My
>> copy was about $35 when I bought it in the late 90s.
>
>I've tried to use it, but there are so few dates.  Can I infer
>anything in cases where he uses the word "old" or "ancient"?

All of the secondary headers that are in italics are Anglicized Irish forms
dated to temp. Elizabeth I - James I.  (see p. 164, paragraph 2).

So, any Gaelic name that has at least one header in italics existed by the
end of period in order for the cited Anglicized Irish form to occur.

Mari
(who has an article mostly done about the italicized forms - just gotta
find time to finish it)