[ANSTHRLD] Question on what is proper

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Tue Jul 18 14:13:23 PDT 2006

Luciana writes:
> RFS 8.4.c states that proper is only allowed where it is
> widely understood
>
> What does a drum look like? I immediately think of a snare
> drum, all bright
> and silver and shiny. Someone else is going to think of
> another kind of drum
> entirely. I just cannot see of a way to pinpoint a 'proper' drum

This is true; however, a few points:

- snare drums are decidedly not period :) The shape and material of a drum
may certain vary widely.
- the blazon (words) given may in fact NOT accurately represent the emblazon
(drawing). Part of commetary is correcting blazons. In this specific case,
the word "drum" may or may not be too generic for the drawing, and "proper"
may or may not be an acceptable tincture.

-Emma Asterisk