[ANSTHRLD] Manual of Heraldry on Project Gutenberg site

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 19:53:58 PDT 2006

For those who might not have seen my addendum on other lists (plus some
additions even to that):
The printing available currently via Project Gutenberg appears to date
from 1862 ("5th edition"), based upon internal evidence following the
primary text.  At near the beginning of the catalog of other offerings
from this printer...

The "full" HTML document including the illustrations may be useful as an
electronically portable alternative to the PicDic -- BUT there is a
better visual source available at
http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/TraceableArt.html,

AND clients / new heralds should be strongly warned that the Anonymous
1845 goes into depth on diminutives of some common charges that we Do
Not Use (e.g. in the bend, chevron, and chief descriptions &
illustrations).  Both the Anonymous and the PicDic are best used as
preliminary references or for something besides the final development of
a submission.

(Note that there are differences of opinion about the role that the
PicDic should play going forward -- and tremendous respect from at least
some of us for what it has meant for the history of SCA heraldry!)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |

OOP,