[ANSTHRLD] Permission to Conflict Question

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jun 9 14:51:38 PDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> Steve K. Rourke wrote:
> >  He conflicts with two people both of which are because of the
> > tertiary charge. Is he going to have to get a letter from both of
> > the people he conflicts with or just the original registered
> > device owner?
>
> 2 devices have 2 owners and he would need a letter from both.

Exactly.  (To be more precise: one letter from each.)  Wording can be
found in College of Arms Administrative Handbook, Appendix D -
Suggested Standard Form Letters.  I provide it below.

> I am not sure what you mean by original registered device
> owner.

I assume he means the earlier one registered.

> I would guess by your question that one had gottena letter of
> permission to conflict with the other

Well, such a situation could also arise if
- the first one was registered by X
and
- the second one was a joint badge with Y as the primary owner and X
  as the secondary owner: we assume that a person gives permission to
  conflict with himself
Or X originally registered both and transferred the second to Y.
Or X died and left a heraldic will (also in Appendix D) bequeathing
the second item, but not the first, to Y.

But Y getting a letter of permission to conflict with X is by far more
likely.

> but I do not believe that matters in this case.

Indeed it does not.  The suggested standard letter of permission reads

    I, [Name], known in the SCA as [Society name] give [Name of
    submitter], known in the SCA as [Society name of submitter]
    permission for [his/her] armory "[Blazon of submission]" to look
    similar to, but not identical to, my armory, "[Blazon of
    registered armory]". I understand that this permission cannot be
    withdrawn once [name of submitter]'s armory is registered.

    [Date] [Signature of [Name]]

Note that it specifies
- X, the owner of the registered item
- Y, the new submitter
- X's registered armory
- Y's proposed armory
and that permission applies to them only.

(Side note: the suggested text specifies armory.  You can use it for a
name by just changing the text to refer to that name instead of some
armory.)

It is now possible to give blanket permission to conflict with an
item.  That's the next item down:

    * Blanket Permission to Conflict

    I, [Name], known in the SCA as [Society name] waive the full
    protection of my registered (name "[Registered name]"|armory
    "[Blazon of registered armory]"). I grant permission to any future
    submitter to register a (name|armory) that is (not identical to|at
    least one countable step different from) my registered
    (name|armory). I understand that this permission can be withdrawn
    by written notice to the Laurel Sovereign of Arms, but that
    conflicting items registered while it is in force will remain
    registered.

    [Date] [Signature of [Name]]

That specifies
- X, the owner of the registered item
- X's specific registered item
But it does not specify any particular recipient.  But items with
blanket permission are tagged as such in the Armorial.  For example,

    Daniel de Lincoln|9203M|N||(Blanket permission to conflict granted 0501)

Blanket permissions are still rare, though I would like to encourage
people to consider them.

Daniel Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com