[ANSTHRLD] Re: Gulf War

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Mar 6 08:14:46 PST 2006

The militant arm was formed by Aureliane Rioghail, the first Star Principal Herald, as a joke, when she warranted Duke Jonathan De Laufyson and Duke Lloyd von Eaker (both competent heralds) as the militant arm of the College of Heralds.  It eventually grew into a more-or-less unoffical honor given to a very few heralds who are also well-known fighters.  I believe the first one given entirely seriously was when Tadhg made me a member and gave me the right to (try to) register the title "Rapier Herald".  Off the top of my head, I can remember:

Duke Jonathan
Duke Lloyd
Don Robin
Duchess Rowan
Sir Mahdi
Sir Kief

The first time Mahdi was king, he made Ansteorra the envy of heralds across the Known World.  He was visiting a herald's meeting when he saw a particularly ugly shield.  He pointed to it, called it bad armory, and called for his militant arm to do something about it.  As he left, heralds from other kingdoms were in awe, saying, "Wow!  Your King cares about good heraldry."

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin