[ANSTHRLD] Militant Heralds

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 11:49:34 PST 2006

> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:14:46 -0600
> From: "Jay Rudin" <rudin at ev1.net>
> Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Re: Gulf War
> To: "Heralds List,Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc."
> 	<heralds at ansteorra.org>
>
> The militant arm was formed by Aureliane Rioghail, the first Star Principal Herald, as a joke,
> when she warranted Duke Jonathan De Laufyson and Duke Lloyd von Eaker (both competent heralds)
> as the militant arm of the College of Heralds.  It eventually grew into a more-or-less unoffical
> honor given to a very few heralds who are also well-known fighters.  I believe the first one
> given entirely seriously was when Tadhg made me a member and gave me the right to (try to)
> register the title "Rapier Herald".  Off the top of my head, I can remember:
>
> Duke Jonathan
> Duke Lloyd
> Don Robin
> Duchess Rowan
> Sir Mahdi
> Sir Kief
>
> The first time Mahdi was king, he made Ansteorra the envy of heralds across the Known World.  He
> was visiting a herald's meeting when he saw a particularly ugly shield.  He pointed to it,
> called it bad armory, and called for his militant arm to do something about it.  As he left,
> heralds from other kingdoms were in awe, saying, "Wow!  Your King cares about good heraldry."
>
> Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

I knew about Mahadi and Rowan, didn't know the older ones, or Kief.
I guess by virtue of the fact that the College of Scribes is within the College of Heralds, then
Rowan would be considered a 'Militant Herald', but I thought she and Mahadi were considered
'Militant Scribes', since they fought and did scribal arts (paint charters, calligraphy award
names on charters).
Hillary