[ANSTHRLD] device check please

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Mar 28 22:42:25 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Hedwig von Luneborg <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
> BLAZON:
> Per pall sable, vert and azure a candle enflamed proper and a compass argent
>
> In plain English (HA):
>
> Divided in thirds sable (black) in chief (top), vert (green) on the right
> (Sinister) side, azure (blue) on the dexter (left) side
> on the left side a white candle lit and on the right side a compass silver

"Per pall sable, vert, and azure, in fess a candle argent enflamed
proper and a compass argent."

The contrast problem has already been addressed.

"Enflamed" is indeed the right word, per the Pic Dic.  For most
charges, "enflamed" means that there are little flames all over, but
"a candle enflamed" (or "flammant") means that it's lit in the
ordinary way.  Neither the Pic Dic nor the CoA Glossary of Terms gives
a default "proper" for a candle, so it must be specified.  (I once had
beeswax candles -- smelled heavenly -- that were Or.)

If you ask about a related design, please clarify whether you mean a
compass as in drafting tool, or a compass as in the pole-finding
magnetical contraption.

Danihel de Lindicolino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com