No subject

Sun May 28 10:26:35 PDT 2006

  Charles le Grey. Name and device. Argent, a tierce gules.

  This device is in conflict with the Barony of the Eldern Hills,
  Argent, a mountain of three peaks issuant from base gules. The SCA
  currently considers a mountain to be a variant of a mount, which is
  a peripheral ordinary, as per the following precedents:

  Mountains, as variants of mounts, should be emblazoned to occupy no
  more than the lower portion of the field. (Barony of Blackstone
  Mountain, September, 1993, pg. 10)

  [a wolf statant gules atop a mount vert] The wolf appears to be
  neither on nor atop the mount; a blazon which more accurately
  reproduces the emblazon is Argent, a mount vert, overall a wolf
  statant gules. However, we do not register charges that overlap
  peripheral ordinaries. [Bastian Wolfhart, 11/99, R-Middle]

  A tierce is also a peripheral ordinary. Rule X.2 does not apply
  between these devices, as neither device has a primary charge.
  Therefore, there is only one CD for difference of type of charge
  group on the field. We encourage the College to research whether,
  under some circumstances, mountains and mounts may be considered a
  primary charge in their own right. After all, unlike a bordure,
  chief or base, a mount and its variants may be couped and centrally
  placed on the field.

At *this* time, a mountain cannot be a primary charge.  However, in the
proposal neither is it a peripheral, so you cannot get more than a CD
for changes to the field.  Hence, it probably conflicts with only the
difference to the field for a single CD.
Convoluted, I know.  I do not like the conclusions drawn in the precedent
I cited, but unfortunately, neither have I the refuting documentation to
challenge it.  (I tried, trust me.)

- Teceangl
--
     The sun, moon, and stars are for the birds -- a big naught.
                    Flora rose cross and ate flour.