[ANSTHRLD] Consulting Library

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 20 12:06:40 PDT 2006

Quoting Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com>:

> I think at one point Druinne at least (and maybe Mari? I forget) had gone
> through the armillary boxes and sorted stuff into "really useful", "useful"
> and "occasionally useful" piles, but it's entirely possible things got
> reordered according to what will fit into which tote (particularly when
> packing up AFTER a consultation table...)

       It was Mari (and I believe Daniel).  They did a good job of pulling out
good books from bad and I deeply appreciate it.  That being said I went through
all the boxes and tubs (I have the reject boxes) I was given and there were some
of the books on the Appendix in the not useful box and some useless books in the
good box.  So that was my question.  The books that were on the "H" list and in
the useless box were damaged and once repaired will go back into the useful
box.

     My thought on these books is that for a consultation table, we should use
the "H" books because of the simple fact that there is no photocopying needed.
No one has to leave to go make copies or such. Most of the books found in the
"useful" box were these books.  I had have to remove three temporarily until
they are fixed and two may make it back by the time they get sent to Warlord.
If someone wants to submit something not found in these books, then perhaps it
could be deferred to one of the Heralds for follow-up.  Does this make sense?
   We are missing several books form the "H" list.  I went online and looked at
the University of Texas's library(which I have access to) and found all but
two. I can slowly photocopy these (they are quite large) since most of them are
past copyright and put them into the boxes.  Of the SCA related books, (three
Incomplete Anachronists) I can reorder and put in.

    The print-outs are in need of reorganizing and prehaps updating as I'm not
to the point of checking those.  I will include the sca.org articles as well as
KWHS Proceedings.

   Eventually, I would like to develop a set of libraries for each region which
will take time and will need the co-operation of all the Regionals (by finding
a house and person to assist with it's mobility.  That's further down the path.
At this point I have two individuals who are willing to be the legs of the
Library and will be asking both for assistance.  My question is --- -Are there
Regional Libraries already?  Are the books that the local groups use personal
copies?  Do groups have libraries?  Should we persue that as well?

   I will be constructing a "wish list" of books for the Libraries and will also
be working on several schemes to get the money to get more copies of needed
books for regional libraries.
Concerning electronic books, and the possibilty of the books going on-line:  we
could perhaps explore the entire idea or solicit help from someone like Project
Gutenberg.

I really have appreciated everyone's imput ont this. So if you have more
thoughts please let me know. Hopefully, I will have enough copies of submission
forms so no one will be left out.

Regards,

Clare
Tressure

PS, my home computer is acting up so hopefully this only went through once and
not ten times or something.