[ANSTHRLD] name help please

Hedwig von Luneborg lochherald at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:13:29 PDT 2006

*Commentary from LOAR August 19, 1983 A.S. XVIII
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1983/08/lar.html
*

* *

*Meghan Pen Gwyn. Gules, a penguin statant to sinister proper.*

*NOTE: Name and device unacceptable. The name is not proper form. If you
want Megan the White-Headed, it should properly be Megan Penwyn. (or
Pengwyn). Meghan would be pronounced Meyan. The use of the capitalized Pen
implies the meaning of Chief. Penguins were known in period. (Drake saw them
when he passed through the Straits of Magellan.) We need the genus and
species for proper animals. If you really want canting and a proper name,
use the name Megan Penwyn and the device: Gules, an Emperor penguin statant
to sinister proper and a chief argent. (Aptenodytes sp.) If you want the
penguins known to Europeans throughout our period, use the Great Auk.*

* Auk: Pinguinus impennis *
**

*He would also prefer Lucas as his given name found here:*
**
*http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/lateirish/fitzwilliam.html
*<http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/lateirish/fitzwilliam.html>
**
*However, I am sure that IF Auk can be used/documented he will be willing to
go with "Luke" in whatever culture he needs to make it compatible; as Auk is
the more important to him.  *

Is this better?
Hedwig