[ANSTHRLD] A resubmission quandry

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed May 3 12:50:04 PDT 2006

> The herald involved has left the Society (to the best of my
> understanding). I have never met him. The person's name is
> Katrine la Escolpiera. The LOAR archives shows that in
> January2002, her name was approved. She told me that the name
> and device were submitted at the same time. There is no
> mention of her device in the LOAR archive. It was supposed to
> have been submitted in the Barony of Elfsea. I am new to the
> SCA and the Barony, so I am having to research everything
> that I have been told on this.

Thank you! The HST says her original name & device were submitted back in
2001 through Northkeep, and there is no record of a resubmission. Let me go
pull the actual file... Yep, it concurs.

You can read the kingdom commentary on the device in the ICC for ILoI
2001-07, item 15 (found at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ICC/icc200107.pdf).
It's not the AICC for reasons that escape me, so the 'annotations' (ie, the
decisions) aren't in there, but the decision at kingom on the device was
"returned for slot-machine". As can be found in the Glossary to the Admin
Handbook at www.sca.org/heraldry/:

Slot Machine Heraldry.
The popular name given to the part of Rule for Submissions VIII.1.a., which
states that "three or more types of charges should not be used in the same
[charge] group." In Argent, in fess a cherry gules, a bell sable, and a lime
vert, there are three types of charges (cherry, bell, and lime) in the
primary charge group; in Argent, two lions combattant and a sword and axe
crossed in saltire, there are also three types of charges (lion, sword, and
axe) in the primary charge group.

-Emma