[ANSTHRLD] Name conflict question

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Fri May 5 14:36:43 PDT 2006

> However, I don't know how Welsh names are constructed to know whether
> "Catrin ferch Rhys y gof" is registerable.  Possible problems could
> include any of these, for the little I know:
> - maybe they didn't add attributes to a patronymic
> - maybe the particular word "gof" was not used (perhaps another word
>   was used instead in names as opposed to normal language)
> - maybe the attribute doesn't use "y" (Rhys Smith rather than
>   Rhys the Smith)
> - maybe the attribute "gof" has to mutate
> - maybe the spellings of the parts are dated far enough apart to cause
>   problems
> Sorry that I can't help with that easily, though the articles in the
> Medieval Names Archives at the Academy of Saint Gabriel may have
> useful data.

I got "gof" from "A Simple Guide to Constructing 13th Century Welsh Names"
at  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/welsh13.html under the sections
entitled "Bynames Based On An Occupation which shows both "Faber" as the
Latin and "gof" being 13th century forms.

The "y gof" came from "Constructing 16th Century Welsh Names"
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/welsh16.html which shows "y gove [y gof,
i.e. "the smith"]". I know that there is a 300 year gap between the naming
practices but I figured that this would be a good place to start asking.

Domhnall