[ANSTHRLD] Consulting Library

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun May 21 22:26:27 PDT 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006, Faelan Caimbeul <faelancaimbeul at gmail.com> wrote:
> tmcd at panix.com wrote:

> > > Yes, but not the ones that are also found at sca.org.

> > > That would be lovely!
> >
> > "Would be".  When there's not a laptop, we'd be missing the
> > sca.org articles.  The printouts are brought so that we can refer
> > to them regardless of electricity, laptops, et cetera.  When
> > considering that aspect, it is irrelevent whether they're from
> > sca.org or elsewhere -- or, perhaps, it shows that it's MORE
> > important to have printouts of sca.org articles, on the grounds
> > that they're more likely to be useful.
>
> Very true, but they're monsters to haul around, a pain to check and
> time consuming.

?  We were talking about "articles".  I don't think they're "monsters"
when printed, and not "pain[s] to check" (tables of names are usually
provided in alphabetical order).  But I haven't checked the site
lately -- can you point at an article under http://sca.org/heraldry
that's gigantic?

> Idealy we need a local copy of the ordinaries on someone's computer
> at an event to be able to check stuff.

The Ordinary is huge, but I wouldn't call it an "article".
Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to easily download the browsable
Ordinary.  I have the genord.pl program, but it's quite an inferior
substitute, because the categories there are much larger (everything
lumped into chevron-1 instead of finely divided like chevron-1-
uncharged-plain line-argent).

> Barring that, of course, we use the books.

The articles and the books are both useful for different things,
though I'm finding the articles are more and more useful for us.
(Mari's Annals index, frex.)

Danet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com