[ANSTHRLD] Consulting Library

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon May 22 11:02:18 PDT 2006

> > >    We are missing several books from the "H" list.
> >
> > Which ones?  Perhaps I can bring my copy.
> > I don't have the new Russian Names.
>
>  Arval Benicoeur and Marten Broker - Compleat Anachronist # 22 Heraldry
> (though I have mine and if I can locate it will make a copy

> *Bahlow - Deutsches Nameslexikhon

This is the German edition.  The English edition was edited by Edda Gentry
and we don't need this one if we have the Gentry edition (which I think we
do).

> *Bahlow - Deutschland Geographiche Namenweit

I don't know of a photocopy of this one.  It was in print pretty cheap at one
point (when I got mine several years ago).  WARNING: there are basically no
dates, so I tend to use Bahlow/Gentry and Brechenmacher instead of this
source.  I basically don't take it to consult tables anymore because I use it
so rarely.

> Bardsley ( we have 2- but they are loose and I'm going to try to get them
> into a binder by then)

I think there's a bound copy somewhere in the library - I'm not sure.  I've
got a bound copy that I can bring to Warlord, if folks want.  Then these
would not need to be bound by then.

> *Brault - Early Blazon (I'm gonig to make a copy of mine butit may not be
> done by then)
> Da'ud ibn Auda, Compleat Anachronist # 51, The Islamic World

Name info in here is superceded by the new edition of his article online.
Printing that out for Warlord would be _real_ useful (assuming no one has
already done that).

> Fox-Davies - THe Art of Heraldry (spine is badly damaged in repair.)
> *Fucilla - Our Italian Surnames

I have a real copy of this and can bring it if we need it.  However, this is
a problem source.  It contains almost no dates and, so, is only useful to
read about a name you've already found dated in period, but you can't make
out the Italian info in De Felice (Fucilla is in English, De Felice is in
Italian).  I actively hide this book when I take it to consult tables, but I
often take it.  It's useful for the consulting herald, but I don't hand it to
submitters.

> Mills - A Dictionary of English Place-Names

In print for cheap, last I checked.

> Morgan - Scottish Gaelic Names for Children

BLECH!!!  Hide this one!   Many of the names are Victorian Gaelic adaptations
of English names.  The kingdom really doesn't need a copy.  (I have one on
my "bad name sources" shelf and can look stuff up for folks, if need be.)

> *Morgan - Welsh Surnames

I had a copy of this but lent it out and need to get it back.  Don't know of
a photocopy.  Was in print for a reasonable price at one point.  I think the
kingdom had a copy...

> OED
> Papworth - Papworth's Ordinary of British Armorials
> Wickenden - A Dictionary of Russian Names

We had this in the kingdom library at one point, but it has vanished.  I have
a copy and can bring it to Warlord.

> *Searle - Onomasticon Anglo-Saxonicum

I have this in photocopy format and can bring it to Warlord.

> Solveig Throndardottir - Name Construction in Medieval Japan

Please support Solveig by purchasing this book rather that photocopying it.
The newest edition is much easier for the general herald to use.  It's
available from Potboiler Press.  I have a copy and can bring it to Warlord.

> Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn - COmpleat Anachronist # 66 A Welsh
> Mescellany

For names, has been superceded by online articles.  (Though the top ten, or
however many, list is still a good read.)  I think we've got printouts of her
articles in the library somewhere.

> What is the name of the New Russian if different from Wickenden.  It's hard
> from me to go back and forth from my mail and the web.  Stupid server
> from UT (grin).

There are 3 editions of Wickenden, all with the same name.  2nd edition is
online.  3rd edition has LOTS more names and used to be available from Free
Trumpet Press.  It would be worth checking to see if it's available from the
Stock Clerk now.

Mari