[ANSTHRLD] more on the library

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon May 22 14:06:23 PDT 2006

>          I agree.  Most of Jayme's  recommendations was also on the H list
> and the general consensus was the "H" list.
> they are books that do not require copying just siting.

That is correct.  "Appendix H" (plus a couple other books that have been
noted in LoAR cover letters but have not yet been added to Appendix H) are
specifically sources that do not require photocopying.  Same for web articles
actually stored at the Laurel website.

Basically, the way I've explained it is that, if the Pelican Sovereign of
Arms has a question and needs to look something up, these are sources that
are guaranteed to be available to whoever is Pelican at the time.  That would
consist only of books in the Laurel library and articles stored at the Laurel
website.  All other books may not be in Pelican's personal library and web
articles may change or vanish between the time the submission form is written
and when it is ruled on at the Laurel level.

> If we use books
> that need copying at outdoor consultation events then how do we get copies
> to submit the papers?  Someone would have to take the books offsite, make
> copies, match them up and then bring the books back.  Or someone would have
> to take the papers home, make copies of the books and then send all
> off.  Something I think Armillary doesn't need to be responsible
> for...  I'm trying to put together a mobile library that is easily
> transported and is the most helpful.  Granted there are other useful books
> that can be taken especially if the site has copiers facilities nearby or
> on-site.  Those books will be kept as part of the consultation table
> library but not used at more user-unfriendly sites.

There are two cases too look at here - full service submissions and regular
submissions.

Are we offering full service submissions at this table?

Here's how I've seen it handled in the past:

Full Service:

In the past at various consult tables I've been at, we've (1) had a copier on
site, (2) gone offsite with books at set intervals, or (3) taken them home
and photocopied then.

In the past, since Armillary had the library, it wasn't a big deal to
phtocopy individual pages before making the copies for full service
submissions.

In either case (2) or (3), we had colored sticky notes.  The consulting
herald made a note on a colored sticky note and stuck it to the front of the
submission form.  Something like "Bardsley, pages 39 and 62".  That made it
easy for the person going out to photocopy (which was me one time).

If we're doing full service submissions, and someone knows of a copy place in
the area that's open on Sunday, I'd be willing to make the copy run then.

NOT Full Service:

In these cases, we tried to go with No Photocopy sources or web sources.  We
would write down the full URL or other instructions to get to the article and
tell the submitter they needed to print it out for their submission.  Giving
them an additional note to that effect is probably a good idea so they
remember that when they get home.

In the cases where we absolutely had to have the docs from a particular
source, we used USPS.  In at least one case, it was from one of my books and
I had the submitter's address and mailed them the photocopy.  Nowadays, we
could scan the page and email it to the submitter to print out.

How we will handle this situation at the Warlord table is a good question to
raise for discussion.  Thanks for thinking of it!

Mari