[ANSTHRLD] Italian name help

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Wed May 3 14:21:08 PDT 2006

Steve K. Rourke wrote:

> I need a little help with a byname. The client wants to use the name
> Bonifacio as a byname and I know the easiest way would be as a patronymic
> byname but I'm not sure how the name construction would actually work for an
> Italian name. If memory serves me correctly her chosen time period would be
> 14th century.
>
> Domhnall

Hi Domhnall,

The formation <Given name> <di> <Bonifazio> or <Bonifacio> is a good
name formation for pretty much all of Italy for that time period.

In a quick search in the MNA I was having a difficult time trying to
find Bonifacio at all. The only place that I have found it is in De
Felice and the website Years of the Cupola.

Searching the Catasto for Bonifazio I get some hits with the name as
a patronymic:
Name: BERTO. Patronymic: BONIFAZIO. Family name: PERUZZI
BRACCIO	BONIFAZIO
DONATO	BONIFAZIO PERUZZI
GIOVANNI BONIFAZIO
IACOPO	BONIFAZIO RUSPI
NENCIO	BONIFAZIO
RIDOLFO	BONIFAZIO PERUZZI

Tratte SQL Search Results for Tre Maggiori has
Several Bonifazios, no Bonifacio
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/search/personinfo.php3
and change surname1 to names2 then go across and type in Bonifazio
Leave the rest of the fields alone. Then go down to  Pick one or
more Series to search.  You can check mark them all to get more 'hits'.

Years of the Cupola, 1417, [Florence] has as a patronymic:
Donato di Bonifacio
http://duomo.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/ENG/IN/IN2list0.HTM

Hope this helps.

If you want the De Felice Nomi info remember it has to be translated.
--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.