[ANSTHRLD] conflict double check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu May 4 22:22:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Bill Butler <chemistbb3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is a shamrock by default slipped (with a stem)or is
> there a difference in the length of the stem holding
> the leaves between the default and it being slipped?
> If it was slipped, would that help to define it being
> fesswise.

As the Pic Dic says under "Foil" (pointed to by "Shamrock"):

    The trefoil is the only foil-flower that is shown slipped by
    default; the others have no slips unless specifically blazoned.
    (Even the trefoil has the slip blazoned occasionally, though it's
    the SCA default.)  The trefoil is also the only foil-flower with a
    definite default posture, with a petal to chief; period examples
    of cinquefoils, by comparison, may be drawn with a petal to chief,
    or a petal to base.  Most foil-flowers follow the convention of
    the trefoil, and are drawn as in the illustrations, with a petal
    to chief.

    A variant on the trefoil is the "shamrock", the symbol of Ireland
    [sic]; its leaves are heart-shaped and have no points.  The
    distinction is purely artistic; no heraldic difference is granted.

As I opined before: even without slipping, I think the petals are
large enough and far enough from symmetry that the orientation can be
seen and cause a CD.

Danielis Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com