[ANSTHRLD] Ian or Ihon

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Fri May 5 10:39:21 PDT 2006

> Could someone please provide me with the header etc for Ian or Ihon?  I
> need
> to documentation for a client and I don't have the books and I'm tired of
> siftng through the St Gabe's site.  Thanks,

The spelling Ian is modern.  It's registerable because it has been ruled SCA
compatible.  For a summary of info on spellings of Ian, see:

http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/iain.shtml

Here's a ruling supporting the spelling as SCA compatible:

Ian has been ruled SCA-compatible. [Ian MacClennan, 08/01, A-Caid]

Period Scots spellings of Ihon (Scots being a language related to English,
not Scottish Gaelic) can be found in the following articles linked off S.
Gabriel's:

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/symonFreser/scottish14/scottish14_given.html

http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/lowland16/menalpha.shtml

In the second article above, the names are listed under John.

If your client goes with the spelling Ian, there may or may not be a problem
depending on what byname he wants.  Since using a name that is only
registerable because it's SCA compatible carries one step from period
practice (otherwise called a "weirdness"), there can't be a second one in the
name - which you can run across depending on lingual mix, temporal disparity,
or other issues.

Hope this helps,

Mari