[ANSTHRLD] A question on the closing of orders and the changing of ir names

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Nov 7 10:49:26 PST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Luciana Caterina di Borgese <dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have received the following email. According to her,

Who?  Can't look her up in a Calontir RP or ask their principal herald
about it without knowing who it is.  I've asked before: when soemone
has a general question that was prompted by a specific case, they
should provide the details of the specific case.

I did a Google search for Calontir and the first hit was the kingdom
main page, http://calontir.sca.org/.  I searched on the page for
"herald", and one of the links was "Calontir Online OP" which goes to
     http://calontir.sca.org/herald/op/op.html

Her (or your) first step: look up her name and see what they think she
has.

> she was told that the "Trilliam Argentum of Calontir"

That's never been registered, and perhaps wasn't used in the Latin
form that much, though I did get another Web hit for "Trilliam
Argentum".

http://crcvms.unl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9806&L=calontir&D=0&T=0&P=95325
says

     The Fret is an old [Middle Kingdom] award that was originally
     given for what we now call "feastocratting", but which was, back
     then, called "autocratting". It was NOT the general mid-level
     service award that it is now. The old Calontir award of the Owl's
     Roost (called at a different time the Silver Trillium) has the
     same history, and was modelled after the Fret.

http://crcvms.unl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9806&L=calontir&D=0&T=0&P=99506
says

     ?????  Juan, I remember Silver Trillium being considered as an
     alternate name for the old Swan (AOA level arts award, now the
     Golden Calon Swan).  Had it been considered as a service award in
     the even more distant past?

http://crcvms.unl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9806&L=calontir&D=0&T=0&P=102952
says

     My memory, which is not certain here, is that the original cognate
     to the Fret was called the Silver Trillium (now, if I recall, the
     emblem for the Queen of Calontir). Its name changed to the Owl's
     Roost after Andrea of Owl's Roost died. Then it was closed, as a
     feastocratting award, and the trillium name moved to what is now
     the Swan. Then the Trillium name and then the Swan name got
     bounced by Heraldry Central, and became the Golden Calon Swan.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/jessa/calontir.html says

     [AoA level] Order of the Golden Calon Swan: given to those who
     have shown promise and growth in their chosen art(s) and some
     knowledge of its history, and who have assisted others in the
     practice of said art(s).

So, from that rather confusing sequence, it looks to me like the
Silver Trillium has been used for two Calontir awards:
- AoA service: Silver Trillium -> Owl's Roost -> now closed
- AoA arts: Silver Trillium -> Swan -> Golden Calon Swan
Hence needing to know who it is to look her up.

Anonymous:
] I ask and ask but no one of authority has returned to me with a
] definitive answer.

First step is to look up the info on-line.

For questions of awards and precedence, a person can contact the
precedence herald of the kingdom in question.  If they don't answer,
you contact the Principal Herald, CCing the precedence herald.  If
*they* don't answer, you ask the king and queen, CCing the preceding.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find heralds' info off the Calontir pages.
I finally found, in small type near the top, "Witan (Kingdom
Officers)".  Followed it and hit a gold mine of contact info,

Down below,
     Black Horse Herald (Clerk of the Precedence)
     Mistress Thyri Haraldsdottir
     OPClerk at calontir.sca.org

This next is under Kingdom Great Officers, so he's the principal herald:
     Gold Falcon Herald
     HE Eric St. Leger
     GoldFalcon at calontir.sca.org

Also on there, when I searched for "scrib" (I never til now saw the
connection between "scribe" and "scribble"!):
     Falcon Signet (Kingdom Scribe)
     HL Fionnuala inghean Fhearghuis
     FalconSignet at calontir.sca.org
That's someone likely to know about scroll questions.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com