[ANSTHRLD] A Bardic Thistle?

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 20 09:23:28 PST 2006

At 11:08 AM 11/20/2006, you wrote:

> >See also "garb".  Unfortunately, while you can usually substitute
> >"bardic" or "bard" for "barding", I don't know of anything easier than
> >"medieval clothing" to substitute for "garb".  (I don't have an OED
> >handy, but I dimly recall "garb" meaning "clothing" being 19th C or
> >so.)
>
>I have been present when Thistles have been awarded for 'Costuming'. Perhaps
>the way around using 'Barding' as a descriptive device is to use
>'Performance'.

One could maybe say Bardcraft as in stagecraft.  We could approach this
from the otherside and say - what does the person do?  He entertains so
they could get one for being entertaining. Often people try to find the
right word to explain what the person actually does so we get some unique
interpretations of art and what to call it.

Clare