[ANSTHRLD] Who wants to gimme a hand here?

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Mon Nov 27 11:49:31 PST 2006

James wrote:
> Disclaimer before you screech in pain or anger at me :) I did a little
> reading, but only enough
> to know I know diddly about heraldry. I 'think' this is okay. and I am
> fairly sure it doesn't
> conflict with anything, but blazons make my brain hurt.

Hey, questions are what this list is for! No disclaimer necessary.

>[...]
> it is at http://www.windfire.net/test.jpg

I would blazon this as "Vert, a valknut and on a chief Or two birds (ravens?
Not hairy enough) close respectant sable."

> I heard heralds don't like the valknut so forgive me on that
> part, if you
> will. Other than that feel
> free to verbally tear it to shreds. :)

The valknut was ruled still acceptable as a charge as recently as June 2002,
and was registered as recently as March 2006:

	[Sable, a valknut inverted argent] The Letter of Intent asked us to
rule on whether the valknut should continue to be registered. As noted in
the LoAR of September 1993, the valknut is a period artistic motif which was
not used in period heraldry. It was incorporated into SCA heraldry and has
been registered infrequently but steadily thereafter. The September 1993
argument in favor of the valknut's registration appears to continue to hold
true. It is identifiable when inverted, just as a triangle is identifiable
when inverted.

	Would-be users of the valknut should take note of the fact that its
"thin-line" nature can make it difficult to identify. Poor contrast, small
size or overlying charges are all likely to render it unidentifiable. Since
this device uses the valknut as the only charge on a high contrast field, it
maintains its identifiability splendidly. [Esteban de Quesada, 06/02,
A-Lochac]

So I'd say that part is good to go. A quick glance through both the 'knot'
and 'triangle' categories in the online O&A didn't turn up any conflicts. It
would be better period style if the two birds faced in the same direction,
and there were three of them, but that's just my preference. :)

-Emma