[ANSTHRLD] The last question of the night, another Name submission

Luciana Caterina di Boniface dolce.luce at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:38:54 PDT 2006

Now that I have gone through some commentaries and now have the vaguest
of ideas of how to present the documentation in a name submission, I am
working on one of my returns - <Rosmerryn Carew de Courcelles>. I have all
three elements of the name placed within the 11th century. The catch is that
I want to present <Rosmerryn> as an Old English spelling of Rosemary, and
use the 'plants name' ruling from BoE, 20 Oct 85, p.1.

My question is: How obsessive do I need to be on presenting this? I have
documented both parts of the name - <ros> and <merryn> - and also have
discussed how compound words were combined in Old English. I am posting the
documentation below. It is going onto the second page, and I keep feeling
that at least some of this is unnecessary, but I do not know for certain
which parts (if any) could be ommitted.

Here is the information I have put together. Any assistance on getting this
more compact and 'Asterisk ready' would be gratefully received.

<Rosmerryn> - <Rosmerryn> is an Old English spelling of <Rosemary>. BoE, 20
Oct 85, p.1 permits plant names to be used as female given names on a
case-by-case basis.

<Rosmarinus> was the original Latin spelling of Rosemary. <Ros> translates
literally into "dew" in Latin, and <Marinus> is translated as 'the sea'.
(WWW - Online Etymology Dictionary,
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=rosemary )

<Merryn> is a spelling variation of <merring>, which is a spelling variation
of <merra>, which is a variation of <mere>, which translates into 'the sea'.
(WWW - Joseph Bosworth, *An Anglo-Saxon Dictionary*,
http://beowulf.engl.uky.edu/~kiernan/BT/Bosworth-Toller.htm , pg 678, 680)

There is no set spelling of words in Old English, even some of the most
common words have multiple spellings recorded. <Rosmerryn> would be such an
example. (Bruce Mitchell, *A Guide to Old English*, 4th ed, pg 4

<ie>, <I>, and <y> were often interchangeable, so that <merring> could
become <merryng>. The sounds would be similar. (Bruce Mitchell, *A Guide to
Old English*, 4th ed, p6)

The <g> at the end of the word is a "voiceless stop" and could be omitted,
as it is not heard. This would change <merryng> to <merryn>. (Richard Hogg,
*An Introduction to Old English*, 1st ed, pg 9)

There were more compound words in Old English than in any language prior to
the current day English. <Rosmerryn> and the original Latin spelling of
<Rosmarinus> are both compound words as they both contain two independent
words that have been combined to make an entirely new word that further
describes the second word – dew of the sea. (Richard Hogg, *An Introduction
to Old English*, 1st ed, pg 107)

Old English is documented as having been in use into the middle of the
12thcentury, making all three elements of the name having existed in
England at
the same time in the 11th Century. (WWW Middle English Dictionary
http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=byte&byte=165557090&egdisplay=open&egs=165561432<http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED37881>).

<Carew> - Is documented as being in England in the 11th century – Anthony J
Camp, *My Ancestors Came with the Conqueror*, pg.38, 1994.

<De Courcelles> - Is documented as being in England in the 11th century
century – Anthony J Camp, *My Ancestors Came with the Conqueror*, pg.42,
1994.

Many, many, many thanks for the help,
Luciana

--
Talking to yourself is okay. Even answering yourself is all right. The
problem is when you have to ask yourself to repeat the question.....