[ANSTHRLD] Roman Name Check

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 20:15:27 PDT 2006

While it would of course be *better* to find such documentation if we
are attempting to match elements documented to other specific in-period
dates, we are dealing here with a Roman name from a pre-16th century
source.  So long as we form the complete name in the Roman manner from
Roman (and select Greek or other names provably used as Roman) name
elements, we apply Romano-Latin name rules and there is no particular
problem.

Mostly.

If one-and-only-one person used a particular name element before 1600CE,
esp. from "ancient" sources, there is a strong chance of running afoul
of the ruling on presumption.  (This has been particularly difficult for
some primarily-oral-history cultural names, esp. in Gaelic source
material.)

The use to name a painting in 17th cent. may work to our favor IF we can
show at least one individual bearing the name personally prior to
1650CE.
Still and all, the *best* would be documentation of the name in any
other Roman usage, besides the specific hero already cited.  Second-best
might be delving into Latin-based Byzantine naming pools.

>From the Smith citation at
http://www.ancientlibrary.com/smith-bio/3109.html we actually have THREE
men bearing Selius as a name in two different (Roman) settings.  I find
what appears to be a fourth individual of the name mentioned at
http://www.theaterofpompey.com/auditorium/pa-sources/martial-2-14.html
in roughly 85ce:
	Nil intemptatum Selius, nil linquit inausum, ...
	ad cenam Silium, tu, rogo, taure, voca.

	Selius leaves nothing untried, nothing unventured, ...
	own name and your girl's, o bull, you invite Selius
	to dinner. (D. Shackleton Bailey, trans.)

I think we have ample evidence for more than one individual of the name,
or at the VERY least a granted apellation / "nickname", Selius pre-1600
in the Roman context.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |