[ANSTHRLD] The last question of the night, another Name submission

Luciana Caterina di Boniface dolce.luce at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 06:36:07 PDT 2006

Thank you for pointing that out. I should have clarified that the evidence
that OId English was in use in the 12th century was from an Old English
spelling of the word 'rosemary'. As for when the herb was brought to
England, I genuinely do not know.

On 10/4/06, nweders at mail.utexas.edu <nweders at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> How strange..... I'm currently reading through some articles on gardens in
> England within period and the topic of Rosemary came up.  Rosemary was not
> introduced to England until probably the 12th century.  It did not come
> over with the Romans (which surprised me because I thought it did).  It
> was
> introduced by a fellow named William Daniel (if I remember
> correctly).  Since the plant didn't make it, the name wouldn't have
> occurred.
>
> I also know from personal experience that Rosemary would not be
> likely.  Mary Rose perhaps.  I know from personal experience since my
> middle name RosMuire is a made up name for Rosemary in Irish.  It's
> totally
> incorrect on the fact that Rosemary was not in Ireland, I used the wrong
> spelling for the Mary part (Muire instead of Maire)  and the name itself
> wasn't use din Ireland until much later.
>
> Just some facts you might be interested in.
>
> Clare RosMuire St. John
> (Who's considering dropping the middle name.)

Talking to yourself is okay. Even answering yourself is all right. The
problem is when you have to ask yourself to repeat the question.....