[ANSTHRLD] Roman Names

Caius Fabius caius_fabius at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:43:04 PDT 2006

Mentioned in Historical, Period sources.
Here we have two different authors using the name, both Martial and Cicero.
It is not a praenomen, but is probably a nomen in Cicero, and either a nomen
or
cognomen in Martial.  Cicero uses Paulus Selius and Caius Selius.

You will find Selius (but not as a praenomen) in the works of Martial,
(Martialis)
II.27

laudantem Selium cenae cum retia tendit
  accipe, siue legas siue patronus agas:
'effecte! grauiter! cito! nequiter! euge! beate!
  hoc uolui! facta est iam tibi cena, tace.

translation from
http://martialis.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_martialis_archive.html
Hear how Selius praises you when he's spreading his nets for dinner, whether
you're reciting or pleading as an advocate: 'A strong performance! Grand!
Quick-witted! Cunning! Hurrah! Lovely! That's just what I wanted!' You've
got your dinner now. Be quiet.

II.14

nil intemptatum Selius, nil linquit inausum,
  cenandum quotiens iam uidet esse domi.
currit ad Europen et te, Pauline, tuosque
  laudat Achilleos, sed sine fine, pedes.
si nihil Europe fecit, tunc Saepta petuntur,
  si quid Phillyrides praestet et Aesonides.
hinc quoque deceptus Memphitica templa frequentat,
  adsidet et cathedris, maesta iuuenca, tuis.
inde petit centum pendentia tecta columnis,
  illinc Pompei dona nemusque duplex;
nec Fortunati spernit nec balnea Fausti,
  nec Grylli tenebras Aeoliamque Lupi:
nam thermis iterumque iterumque iterumque lauatur.
  omnia cum fecit, sed renuente deo,
lotus ad Europes tepidae buxeta recurrit,
  si quis ibi serum carpat amicus iter.
per te perque tuam, uector lasciue, puellam,
  ad cenam Selium tu, rogo, taure, uoca.

translation from
http://martialis.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_martialis_archive.html
Selius leaves nothing untried, nothing undared, whenever he sees that he has
to dine at home. He runs to [the Portico of] Europa and praises you,
Paulinus, and your Achillean feet - but interminably. If Europa does
nothing, then he makes for the Saepta, in case Phillyra's son and Aeson's
son can provide anything. Disappointed here too, he loiters at the Memphitic
temple, and sits by your chairs, sorrowful heifer. From there he makes for
the roof supported by a hundred columns, and from there the gifts of Pompey,
and the double grove. And he does not scorn Fortunatus' or Faustus' baths,
nor the Gryllus' shadows and Lupus' Aeolian cave. And he washes himself in
the public baths again and again and again. When he has done everything, yet
the god refuses, he runs, well washed, back to the boxwood trees of warm
Europa, in case a friend is taking a late turn there. By you, naughty mount,
and by your girl, I beg you, bull - you invite Selius to dinner!

here is from http://www.ancientlibrary.com/smith-bio/3109.html
Shows Selius as a Nomen

SELIUS. 1, 2. P. and C. selii, two learned men, friends of L. Lucullus, who
had heard Philon at Rome. (Cic. Acad. ii. 4.)

3. selius, a bad orator mentioned by Cicero about b. c. 51 (ad Fam. vii.
32).

A. SE'LLIUS, elected tribune of the plebs in his absence in b. c. 422. (Liv.
iv. 42.)

respects
Caius Fabius