[ANSTHRLD] Okay I'm a little confused now.

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 10:37:50 PDT 2006

You can use this Rule to justify part (an "element") of a name but not the entire name.

  For example, my legal name is Robert Leslie Wade.  I can submit use the Rule to justify "Leslie" when submitting "Leslie of London" (Assuming I have documentation for "of London", but can no fid documentation).  I can not use it to submit "Robert Leslie Wade" (My full legal name).

  The  Rule can not be used for "Moon-unit" Zappa (Obtrusive) or "Rex" Reed (Claiming titles) however.   Clear as mud?

  Tostig

Bajula <bajula at windfire.net> wrote:
    I've been lurking and just reading stuff, checking out links people send..
While I have an interest in the names and heraldry bit, I'm not sure how
much I can take before my brain explodes. :)
Since the link to the rules of submission was brought up I got bored and
went and read it..
Now I've heard repeatedly on this list and verbally that you cannot register
your legal name. (maybe I picked it up out of context?) If I misunderstood
that's okay too. just someone clear up for me this bit.

4. Legal Names. - Elements of the submitters legal name may be used as the
corresponding part of a Society name, if such elements are not excessively
obtrusive and do not violate other sections of these rules.

This allows individuals to register elements of their legal name that cannot
be documented from period sources. The allowance is only made for the actual
legal name, not any variants. Someone whose legal given name is Ruby may
register Ruby as a Society given name, but not Rubie , Rubyat , or Rube .
Corresponding elements are defined by their type, not solely their position
in the name. This means a person with the legal name Andrew Jackson could
use Jackson as a surname in his Society name in any position where a surname
is appropriate, such as Raymond Jackson Turner or Raymond Jackson of London
, not just as his last name element.

So which is it?