[ANSTHRLD] How many name elements become too many?

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Fri Oct 13 04:06:18 PDT 2006

Luciana Caterina di Borgese wrote:
> I have a client whose name was forwarded to Laurel as <Genna Concetta di
> Chiaramonte>. She is thinking about withdrawing the name submission, and
> resubmitting it as <Genovefa Genna Concetta di Chiaramonte>. My concern is
> that there may be too many elements to the name. Am I right to be concerned
> in this?

Three givens is a wierdness and were extremely rare.  In his book
'Provinvial Families of the Renaissance. Private and public life in
the Veneto' James Grubb says, " Personal names remained unstable in
the Quattrocento and beyond,...Even those who retained baptismal
names might customize them.  Giovanni Andrea Nicolo Arnaldi shed his
first and third names;  brother Giovanni Battista and chronicler
Giovanni Battista Pagliarini dropped their first names; and many
with compounds -  Margarita Bona Arnaldi and her brother Silvestro
Francesco - dropped the second."

It may suit her now at registration time but I'll bet money she
won't write all of it when she has to sign in at Troll Gate.
--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.